Charles F. Norris Photograph Album, Accession Number 2000-007
Black and white photograph of 10 male University of Oregon Medical School students aboard the shuttle bus used to transport students and employees from downtown Portland, Oregon to the Marquam Hill campus in Southwest Portland, circa 1924-1926. The shuttle bus is parked in front of the Medical Science Building, later renamed MacKenzie Hall. Two men are sitting in the front seats while one man squats on the drivers side running board and seven men sit in the back. The text below the pasted image, found on page four of the Charles F. Norris photograph album, identifies the passengers from left to right as: William West Sutherland, Robert Lindsay McArthur (driver), Ellsworth Francis Lucas (on running board), Frank Harvey Douglass, Walter Wallace Gilbert, Paul Bailey, William Paul Holbrook, Joseph Bernard McCarthy, unknown passenger, and Harley Rex Shields. The text below the image states that the shuttle bus ran at 8 am and 5 pm, used predominately by "women and cripples". At this time, less than 10 women were employed by UOMS. The bus was parked at Nu Sigma Nu house, and an additional shuttle was kept at Alpha Kappa Alpha house.